Saturday, September 17, 2011

Artist Profile: Rica Fils

Rica J. Fils
Hometown: Chicago, Illinois
Education: Communications, Journalism

"Art to me is the purest form of expression.  We are always expressing ourselves as human beings, it is innately a part of our identity as sentient and dynamic beings.  It's in our dress, how we put our homes together, what we listen to and what we say.  Art for the sake of art, though, brings to life the belief that our essential selves can exist outside of pure utility.  We are functional, yes, but we are also valuable for things assembly lines and robots cannot do.  We are valuable to each other because the sensations that we experience in this world are a unique piece of a greater, even more unique whole.  Art, I feel, pays homage to that experience."

"A writer of the group, I will be performing on the Spoken Word Night as well as setting up a station for my writing and accompanied scatterings of visual art in some tiny, cozy corner of an exhibit.  I'm a DJ, so I would love to record a mix as a soundtrack to my work."

"When we see the impressions of an artist on paper or canvas or sculpture or photograph or piece of clothing or song, we celebrate a moment with that artist's experience, a moment captured and collected and shared through our collective consciousness.  I can only hope that my writing brings a small piece of life I have lived to the senses of others who can then feel as though they have lived that moment with me, as I feel more alive through every expression of art I encounter."


No comments:

Post a Comment