Saturday, September 17, 2011

Artist Profile: Jess Csanky

Jessica Csanky
Hometown: Salt Lake City, Utah
Education: Film Production, Studio Arts

"I have always had a love affair with art, simply because I enjoy creating. Any time that I have a bad day or need to rid energy, I retreat into my studio. It is a sanctuary. I need to create to feel complete.

I acquired a taste for Japanese paper while studying abroad in Osaka for a school year. Since returning, I have included Japanese themes in almost all of the art that I have done. With an adored collection of paper, I am now experimenting with textiles and will be creating a large work for Womynhouse. It will be in honor of my beloved mother, Amy Dishell, who we lost to breast cancer. I would like to dedicate the work, first and foremost to my mom, but also to all people and their loved ones who have battled cancer.

I am honored to work with the talented group participating in this exhibition, and I hope that men and women come together to deepen their compassion and understanding of one another."

1 comment:

  1. Your mother was a good friend. She would be so proud of you. We miss her.

    ReplyDelete